Thursday 5 February 2009

What happened to the 1980s?

In economic terms the 1980s seem to be returning in my country – unemployment is increasing rapidly, factories are closing every day, and people are starting to feel poor again.

But although I remember the 1980s all too well for exactly those reasons, it seems that in one sense I slept through most of the decade.

I analysed the music on my MP3 player by date of original recording, to see if it would show a peak of musical preference at a particular moment in my life. The results are shown below (with the raw figures grouped in five-year averages to avoid a too-spiky graph):


What the results show is that, as is normal, I have a visible preference for the music of my teenage years (the peak on the left). However, I have almost as great a liking for the music of the 1990s and 2000s. The surprise (for me) was that I seem to have no great liking for the music of the 1980s. Apart from 1988, which is quite well represented, I have an average of two tracks per year from the 1980s on my MP3. The question, of course, is not why I have those tracks, but why I do not have the others. So I checked back to see what was popular during the 1980s, to find that it was the decade of: ABC, Tina Turner, INXS, Hall and Oates, Bananarama, Pat Benatar, Whitesnake, Duran Duran, Billy Idol, Whitney Houston, Thompson Twins, John Cougar Mellencamp, The Police, Phil Collins, Lionel Richie, Cyndi Lauper, Bon Jovi, Huey Lewis & The News, Tears for Fears, The Go-Gos, Run D.M.C., Culture Club, Bryan Adams, Prince, Billy Joel, The Bangles and Wham!

OK, that explains it then!

No comments: