Thursday 25 September 2008

The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho

While I was in Pecs I also read The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho. What a disappointment! What a load of rubbish, frankly. I had been led to believe that he was a brilliant writer, and the cover blurb tells you that this book "is a transforming novel", and that Coelho has "the power to inspire nations and to change people's lives". What a load of tripe! The book was shallow, predictable, and frankly silly. However, what it seems to do (and maybe his other books too?) is to push a kind of silly spiritualism that borders on pseudo-religion. And maybe that is why some people think he is brilliant - maybe they are believers in the silly modern pseudo-religion of 'spiritualism'. Well, I'm not, and this is my blog, so my message is clear - don't bother with this short, shallow, and uninteresting pseudo-religious load of rubbish.

And will I look for more books by Coelho? No, I won't.

No comments: