Thursday 25 September 2008

The God of Small Things, by Arundhati Roy

I finished The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy while I was in Pecs. It is a brilliant book, and well worth its (1997) Booker Prize. When I started it I was afraid that it would be heavy going, but it wasn't. Despite the unfamiliarity of the names (in, I presume, Malayalam) they quickly became familiar, and the prose was beautiful and fluent. She captured and portrayed the mind of the children, who are the central characters, brilliantly.


Although ultimately a sad book, it didn't leave me with a bitter taste, because of the simplicity of the narration, and the depth of the story. If the measure of a book's worth is whether you would recommend it to a friend, then this book scores highly. For me, another measure is whether I will look for other books by the author. I will.

No comments: