Thursday 25 September 2008

Brussels Ekiden


Last Saturday I participated in the Brussels Ekiden. What is an Ekiden? Well, wikipedia describe it as a a marathon relay, and say that it originated in Japan. Basically, a team of six runners run the full 42 km marathon distance, but divided into sections of 5, 10, 5, 10, 5 and & km. I ran the second 10 km section for my team.

We were disqualified.

I don't really know why, except that some of our runners times were wierd, to say the least. I suspect the timing system (automatic recording of runners starting and finishing via a chip that they attach to their shoes) messed up. One of us was shown as doing 5 km in 10 minutes! That is better than Olympic standard. So, rather than admitting they screwed up, they disqualified us. Still, I got my nice shiny medal, and a day out in sunny Brussels.

No comments: